Tags: attorney, diem, employment, husband, labor, law, lawyer, legal, minimum, rate, texas, town, working

Minimum Per Diem Rate? Texas

3,315 words with 7 Comments; publish: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:39:00 GMT; (80062.50, « »)

Can someone please tell me if there is a minimum per diem rate for Texas?

My husband has been working out of town now for almost a year, they have dropped his per diem down to $15 a day, at this rate, we're paying the company to work for them.

If anyone knows where to find the statute or guideline that regulates per diem in Texas, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

• Yes, he has mentioned that he would like to transfer to a company that will keep him in town more. Wouldn't hurt if they gave him better pay too :D
      #1; Thu, 28 Sep 2006 10:24:00 GMT
    • Thank you, I printed that out for him. Not sure if it applies to Texas or not though.

Does anyone know if there are Texas guidelines? Is there even a manditory per diem at all?`

#2; Tue, 26 Sep 2006 09:03:00 GMT
    • I just wanted to say thank you again. Once my husband learned that the company was already doing more than it was required to by law, he settled right down and stopped complaining which, in turn, made my life much easier!

Thanks again!

#3; Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:49:00 GMT
    • Most welcome, and I'm glad the information helped.

I do considerable traveling in my job, and if it were not for the employer reimbursement of my expenses, I wouldn't do it. Travel is hard enough, and there is never a trip on which I don't donate some time, and money, but I can't imagine paying for all of it. Employers who do not make it worthwhile generally lose the employees they want to keep to the competition, since they're better appreciated.

Tell your husband to use the energy he's saving by not complaining to go sell himself for a better situation. That may make your life even easier.

#4; Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:28:00 GMT
    • There's no requirement in Texas law for an employer to pay the expenses of an employee. Expenses are not defined as wages, and are not required. From the employer's perspective, he's paying your husband $15 per day more than he has to.

Not saying it's fair, and not saying it's a good way to retain quality help--but it's a condition of employment, and paid at the employer's discretion.

#5; Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:06:00 GMT
    • As far as I can remember, the per-diem rates are determined by the city in which you travel to. I would assume that going to smaller cities would be based on the closest metropolis.

Whether or not the company chooses to follow those guidelines is up to each individual company.

I once worked for a boss who would use this chart for a guideline but would try to gauge the work that was needed in each city and whether or not he would choose to give us enough money. I did work in Ireland for 2 weeks and when he found out that most of our events were catered, he asked for me to return a portion of the per diem.

I guess it just depends on the company..

#6; Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:51:00 GMT

Thank you so much. I guess it would be time for him to change jobs then.

#7; Tue, 26 Sep 2006 13:33:00 GMT